Monday 24 August 2009




James Byrom Pianist extraordinaire. James Byrom husband to one, son to two, father to two, brother to three. Brother to me. James Byrom- addict.

I have just got back from from visiting my closest sibling, James Byrom. I went to Den Haag, Netherlands, where he lives with his family, to help out a person in crisis.

I love my brother James but like most sibling relationships, ours has been fraught with friction from the beginning. He was born 13 months after me and so he has always known me. I made myself known, it has to be said.

I did everything for my little brother. Helped bath him, helped him out the front door and down the front step to the bus station (I was 3 he was 2) much to mother's despair, helped him to paint his first picture at school - infact did everything for him at school to the point the teacher felt concern for James' development, helped him to his first cigarette and to sneak out of the family home to go to a party when we were teenage youths.

I have always been there for him.

He left home when he was 16 years old to pursue his piano career and live with his girlfriend Sam. He has never returned home. He should never return home. So home had to go to him.

My brother is an addict. Perhaps it started with that first cigarette or perhaps he's a dependent and it started with my impossibly overbearing need to do everything for him as a child? Either way, I feel certain I have played my part in forging his current character. Don't worry, I am not into self-loathing or blame but can appreciate the almost teratorgenic affect siblings have on each other.

I flew to Schipol to attempt a rescue mission. To un-do the un-doable. So did I succeed. Well only time will tell. But if i speak honestly then I would have to say that this is one thing James needs to do on his own. it's going to be hard for him. he's never really done anything alone. but if he doesn't start sorting himself out fast then he'll be doing most things alone for the rest of his life.

There were 8724 alcohol related deaths in 2007 in the UK alone. we know alcohol is more of a problem for men than it is for women. it's certainly a problem for James.he risks losing everything for the sake of 'one too many'.

No comments:

Post a Comment