Saturday 28 November 2009

What's up doc?

Just been to A&E, never a joyful experience but usually a necessary one. You wouldn't venture there for fun, would you? Yet today was not without amusement. Must mention here that I wasn't the patient. Had I been ill I am certain I wouldn't have seen the funny side of the porta-cabin blasting out hot air from those make-shift heaters, over crowded with a range of folk. Some of them visibly ill, some of them injured, some of them supporters, some of them complete time wasters.

Take the girl sat next to me, no more than 15yrs old. She was there, with her male mate, and I quote "cause I need to get it on record what he done to me - he won't knife me again" and "anyway I knocked out his bird, she won't mess we me again". Delightful. Poor girl. Poor staff.

Then there were the doctors. A tale of two extremes. Two male doctors. One old, one young. Well I am sure their polemic demeanors have much to do with their generational differences but it was so marked that they need remarking upon.

Young Doc strutted around in his fitted, tight shirt and clippy, shiny shoes with a look of disdain and apathy. Old Doc, welcomed us with a warm smile, apologies, and a refreshingly humble and gentle approach. He listened, he informed and generally began to reinstate my faith in doctors. Well done Dr Bhat. As for the young lad perhaps he hadn't bargained for contact with patients, perhaps he isn't really into his placement in A&E (can't wait to get out to a GP practice where the hours are less and the money rolls in) or perhaps he was just having a bad day.

Oh well, we were in and out within an hour. Who says there's terrible waiting times. Or was it another case of being Sheena Byrom's daughter? We'll never know I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment