Friday 30 July 2010

Clear skies


For the most part, I am a positive, excitable, idealist. Seeing the good in things, people, or situations comes naturally to me. Imagine then, how baffled I am to find myself privy to a web of negativity and upset. So fraught I am with worry and anxiety about this new-found approach to living that I am set to make a change.

Luckily for me I have been working on writing an article, for an academic journal, on the concept of 'risk magnification' in midwifery. Whilst reading an enthralling commentary By Dahlen (2010) on fear and trust in childbirth, I happened upon this most brilliant of timely found quotes:

'our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of it's strength'

Not normally a sucker for this approach to bettering myself I have, for the sake of utilitarian happiness, relented and sucked it up. This will now resound as my mantra for the coming hours, days, weeks until I shake myself free from my negativity and rejoin the bubbly world of optimism and delight. I wish to see hazard only in those storm clouds where it exists and live life more fully in the clear skies between them.

For those cynics amongst you, repeat after me: "philosophical bullshit is good for you", Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment